What are Warts ?
A wart is a small growth with a rough texture that can appear anywhere on the body. It can look like a solid blister or a small cauliflower. Warts are caused by viruses in the human papilloma virus (HPV) family. The appearance of a wart depends on its location on the body and the thickness of the skin.
Symptoms of warts and verrucas
Warts are not usually painful, but some types, such as verrucas, may hurt. They can occasionally itch or bleed.
There are several different types of warts, all varying in size and shape. The different types are described below.
Common warts (verruca vulgaris)
If you have a common wart, it will:
- Be round or oval-shaped
- Be firm and raised
- Have a rough, irregular surface similar to a cauliflower
- Often develop on the knuckles, fingers and knees
- Vary in size, from less than 1mm to more than 10mm (1cm) in diameter
You may develop one common wart or several.
Verrucas (plantar warts)
Verrucas usually develop on the soles of the feet. The affected area of skin will:
- Be white, often with a black dot (blood vessel) in the centre
- Be flat rather than raised
- Sometimes be painful if they are on a weight-bearing part of the foot
It is possible to have between one and several hundred plane warts, which can develop in clusters. They are usually:
- A yellowish colour
- Smooth, round and flat-topped
- 2-4mm in diameter
- Common in young children – mainly affecting the hands, face and legs
Plane warts can sometimes develop on the lower legs of women, as the human papilloma virus (HPV) can be spread through shaving.
Filiform warts (verruca filiformis)
Filiform warts are long and slender in appearance, often developing on the neck or face.
Periungual warts develop under and around the fingernails or toenails. They:
- Have a rough surface
- Can affect the shape of the nail
- Can be painful
Mosaic warts grow in clusters and form a “tile-like” pattern. They often develop on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet.
At True You Skin clinic we can treat warts on the feet , hands and on the body at both our Leeds and Bradford clinics.
- Is it Safe? The Harmony XL Pro™ Long Pulsed Nd:YAG 1064nm system is clinically proven to be both safe and effective.
- How does it Work? Treatments target the source of the infection, clearing the lesions within a few short treatment sessio
- Is the treatment suitable for me? Treatment is suitable for most people. However, prior to treatment a free consultation is carried out during which a medical history is taken to confirm suitability for treatment. You will be asked to give informed consent and a small test patch will be carried out prior to your first session.
- Procedure Time – from 15 minutes
- Back to work – immediately
- Anaesthetic – non required
- Sensitivity Period – up tp 48 hours
- Visible Results – a few / months depending on required treatment
- Possible side effects
- Duration of results – Permanent unless reinfection occurs
Prices start at just £75.
A tailored package for multiple lesions will be discussed during your consultation.
Welcome to your ZO Newsletter! SKINCARE PROTOCOLS | APRIL 23, 2020 HOW TO REVAMP YOUR INDOOR SKINCARE PROTOCOL By ZO Skin Health In this difficult time, people are spending increasing amounts of time indoors. As with any lifestyle...
HERE’S WHAT HAPPENS WITH SAGGING SKIN When you ask people about their primary skincare concern, many responses will echo the same: pre-mature skin aging. Globally, combating aging skin is a prevalent matter for many people: it has built a multi-billion-dollar industry...
Get the Pumk and plump it up ? So why is Pumpkin so good for us ? Pumpkin is a major source of Vitamin C . Vitamin C is known to protect the skin from free radical damage, Antioxidants such as Carotenoids, Alpha-carotene and beta-carotene are...
Skin Sunday What are stretch Marks ? Stretch marks are often the result of the rapid stretching of the skin associated with rapid growth or rapid weight changes. Stretch marks may also be influenced by hormonal changes associated with puberty,...
Indulging yourself without guilt! Read about the health benefits of chocolate below: and eat away !! "While chocolate is thought of as a decadent “treat,” (and chocolate certainly is a treat), did you know that along with the delicious taste comes some surprising...
Exercise and Acne "Exercise is not only good for your weight and your health – it is also good for your skin! The skin is your body’s largest organ, so an overall healthy lifestyle including exercise will actually benefit the skin in a number of ways: • Exercising...