Did you know that skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States?
With over 5 million diagnosed a year, it is more important now than ever to educate yourself on the risks of sun exposure and how to keep you and your family’s skin protected and healthy, year-round.
Skin cancer is highly preventable. Roughly 90% of nonmelanoma skin cancers and 85% of melanoma cases are associated with exposure to UV radiation from the sun. It is never too early or too late to start making sun protection a priority for your skin.
While many of us are practicing self-distancing by quarantining at home, it is important to remember that we must continue to apply sunscreen every day, whether in or outdoors. Daily sun protection is essential to skin health.
Here are some easy tips you can implement daily to protect your skin from harmful UV rays:
- Cover up with densely woven clothing. The more skin you cover, the better, so opt for long-sleeves and long pants.
- Wear a broad-brimmed hat, UV-protective sunglasses, or even carry around an umbrella to further protect your face from damaging UV rays.
- If you are outside during the day, try to be in the shade between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm, when the sun is at its’ strongest.
- Sunscreen must be reapplied throughout the day— every two hours during sun exposure and immediately after swimming or sweating excessively.
- Use broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher, especially if you plan to be outdoors for an extended amount of time. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends applying one ounce (that’s two tablespoons for all those quarantine bakers out there) of sunscreen to your entire body.
- Apply sunscreen even when it is cloudy—The Skin Cancer Foundation states that 20% of the sun’s UV radiation is blocked by cloud coverage; that is still 80% of UV radiation that is reaching your skin.
- Apply sunscreen even when indoors. Nearly all UVB rays are absorbed by glass windows, but UVA rays can still pass through. Be sure to apply SPF to all exposed areas.
To help patients stay protected, ZO® Skin Health has launched Sunscreen + Powder SPF 40, the latest in Triple-Spectrum Protection®. This is the latest in skin defense infused with advanced pigments to provide buildable coverage for an even complexion, leaving skin smooth and most importantly, protected from harmful UV rays. Sunscreen + Powder’s ultra-soft brush will provide an even and flawless application as to not disturb your makeup, making this the perfect to drop in your bag and reapply throughout the day.